9/25/08

How to Hold a Crocodile by The Diagram Group
I love this how-to book, especially since it's got pictures!  This book teaches you how to identify different flags on ships.  Did you know there is a flag that means quarantine?  Or that this ship has mutinied?  Fascinating!  I've also learned that you can grow a pear in a bottle by putting the bottle around the blossom before it grows to a full fledged pear.  Other publishers should take note of the power of pictures in how-to books.  Seriously.
 
An Incomplete Education: 3,684 Things You Should Have Learned but Probably Didn't by Judy Jones
This book feels a little Mental Floss-y since it's got that tongue in cheek vibe to it.  It's a hodge podge-y collection of snippets about all sorts of subjects like architecture, artists, economics, etc.  Sometimes I'm hesitant to read some of the articles because I know I'll never remember them . . . If I had a super power I'd want to be a speed reader and be able to understand, remember and apply everything that I read.  Wouldn't that be awesome?

No comments: