10/9/08

Camille and the Sunflowers: A Story About Vincent van Gogh by Laurence Anholt
Well on the inside flap it says the book's based on an actual encounter.  Camille's (a boy) dad is a postman and sometimes Camille helps him unload the mailbags.  One day an artist named Vincent van Gogh comes to town.  Soon he and Camille becomes friends but people don't understand his art and torment him.  A few of van Gogh's paintings are featured in this picture book.  My favorite illustration is of van Gogh packing up because the townsfolk are running him out of town--he's got a bandaged ear.  A bit morbid, I like it!
 
The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen
I read this book and rolled my eyes, but honestly I liked it!  All the other creatures in the ocean try to get the pouting fish to smile, but all they get is "Blub, bluuuuuub, bluuuuuuuuub."  Then one day a hot silver fish plants a kiss on the Pout-Pout and all of a sudden he's a kiss-kiss fish! 
 
The Book Book by Sophie Benini Pietromarchi
I've never seen a book quite like this one before.  It gives tons of ideas for creating a book.  My favorite is to tear pieces of scratch paper and staple the pieces together in the shape of a monster!  This book is awesome for skimming.

1 comment:

Debbie Diesen said...

I was pleased to run across your blog and your review of The Pout-Pout Fish (the power of "Google Alerts" in action -- I end up discovering some really neat blogs). Thanks for your kind words about the story, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Dan Hanna's art really brought Mr. Fish and his pals to life!

If you happen to work in a classroom or library, and would like some signed Pout-Pout bookmarks to share with kids during a story time, I'd be glad to send some your way. Just drop me a note c/o my web site contact page.

Best wishes to you, and I look forward to seeing what else you read as the year goes on!

Debbie Diesen, author of The Pout-Pout Fish
www.deborahdiesen.com